Well after MUCH consideration and going back-and-forth for a week, I decided to exchange my Samsung S7 Edge for the iPhone 7 plus. I said I was going to skip it this time, but for as much as I love Android 6, and Samsung did a GREAT job with the hardware/ROM/UI integration, there was a deal breaker (actually a few).
I have had my iPhone 6S now for about a year and have no complaints other then the cracked screen my cousin left for me after dropping it on the pavement (with a glass screen protector, and case). I tend to get about 1.5 days on a single charge with my typical heavy use. The S7 lasted 16 hours if I was diligent about closing apps and turning off Bluetooth, NFC, and WiFi when not needed. Here are the pros and cons of the S7 Edge;
- The screen is incredible. Very sharp and bright
- Android 6 (and the ability to root for that extra control)
- The fingerprint scanner worked 90% of the time compared to my iPhone which is more like 60% of the time
- The camera quality was awesome (although I didn’t take too many pictures with it
- Expandable memory
- Perfect size and weight, although like any other smartphone these days, needed a case
- Google Cards
- The Samsung “Edge Apps”
- Terrible battery, even being careful (I can never close an app on my iPhone 6S and the battery is barely effected)
- Notifications on some apps were delayed
- When I would read a work email on my computer, it wouldn’t auto sync back to my phone showing its been read
- The curved glass made it difficult to access some menus and be tactile with smaller buttons and cause for unwanted scrolling quite often because of how it’s held
- Service was terrible compared to my iPhone and frequently dropped calls at home
- WiFi calling hand-off sucked
This was by far the toughest decision I have had to make in a phone in a long time, because I wanted to like the S7. But I have had every generation of iPhone and there is 1 thing that can be said about Apple products; they build both the hardware and OS so they just always work well together. Ok, I agree its really stupid that I need to use an adapter for my wired headphones now, but weighing the pros and cons of the 2, the iPhone won again.
My ONLY complaint is its back ordered 5 weeks, so I’m stuck using my cracked 6S till my nice 128gb iPhone 7+ arrives. Expected ship date of 11/18 currently.